What is it?
An injury to the brain caused by force to the head or body. Any high impact collision can cause your brain to move inside the skull and may result in brain injuries and produce symptoms. Incidents involving sport, motor vehicle collision, trauma or falls can cause mild traumatic brain injury, also known as concussion. Patient presentation is variable and depends on the area of the brain involved.
How can it affect me?
Symptoms may include:
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Loss of balance
- Inability to tolerate bright light, loud noises or busy environments
- Memory deficits
- Difficulty concentrating
- Difficulty focusing
- Altered sleep patterns
How Neuphysio can help!
A multidisciplinary approach including, Physiotherapist, Physician, Occupational Therapist, Nurse, Social Worker, RMT, Osteopath, best supports positive outcomes. Physiotherapy begins with a comprehensive history and physical exam. Several systems of the body are examined including:
- Musculoskeletal – flexibility, strength
- Oculomotor – vision and eye coordination
- Vestibular – inner ear, dysequilibrium
- Balance – sitting, standing, dynamic
- Spinal Proprioception – joint mobilization
- Autonomic – cardiorespiratory, endurance
- Pain management
- Manual therapy and modalities
- Strength and endurance training
- Energy conservation techniques
- Fatigue management
- Activity modifications
- Adaptive devices
- Gait and balance training
At Neuphysio, you will find PoNS certified Physiotherapists and programs. This advanced cranial nerve stimulation, authorized for use in Canada for people with mild to moderate brain injury, primes the brain and enhances outcomes when combined with Physiotherapy.
Having trouble remembering your routine or need assistance to perform safely, Neufit Training offers unique disease specific Training for people with Concussion. Registered Massage Therapy helps with relieving painful trigger points associated with neck pain and guarding, loosening the tissues to allow for more relaxed movement. Osteopathy can address the relationship between the function and the structure of tissues in the body impacted by the trauma. This treatment works to make sure every small part of the body is able to contribute to normal movement.