At Neuphysio, our therapists are trained in assessing and treating concussions and the many systems that can be affected by one. Concussions are complex, with everyone being unique in the way that it presents.
Common symptoms and functions impacted include:
- Dizziness and balance issues
- Neck pain
- Visual changes – light sensitivity, blurred vision, double vision, etc.
- Hearing changes
- Heart rate and temperature regulation issues
- Sleep changes
- Emotional and mental health challenges
- Cognitive difficulties – memory, focus, concentration, etc.
A thorough assessment is needed to determine how you have been impacted by your concussion so that an appropriate treatment plan can be developed. Concussion rehabilitation cannot be a one-size-fits-all approach, but we at Neuphysio take the time to get to know you, understand your symptoms and help you get back to what you love in a safe, effective manner.
Concussion research has evolved significantly over the last decade and we now know and understand that simply resting will generally not be enough to overcome a concussion. It is recommended to gradually and appropriately challenge the systems affected by the concussion to learn to handle stimulus and activity again, while at the same time respecting symptoms and allowing your brain to recover.
Our therapists are knowledgeable and experienced in doing this and can also provide recommendations for how to gradually return to work, school, sport, and other activities. Treatment involves one-on-one care to implement exercises, teach strategies to cope and manage symptoms and provide hands-on care and/or modalities to help with pain.
Rushing injured players back to the field when a concussion occurs can have devastating consequences. Now there are research based guidelines to assist your physician, physical therapist or athletic trainer in making safe return to play determinations. The following are resources we’ve gathered on concussion management and guidelines for post-concussion management. If you have questions or need additional information on concussion management, please feel free to contact us!
- Pediatric sports-related concussion (Abstract)
- Emergency department visits for concussion in young child athletes
- Current issues in pediatric sports concussion (text)
- Current issues in pediatric sports concussion (PDF)
- Sport-Related Concussion in Children and Adolescents (PDF)
- Contributions of neuroimaging, balance testing, electrophysiology and blood markers to the assessment of sport-related concussion (Abstract)
- Management of Sports-Related Concussion in Children and Adolescents
- Active rehabilitation for children who are slow to recover following sport-related concussion (Abstract)
- Sport Concussion Assessment Tool 3 (SCAT3) (PDF)
- Guidelines for Post-Concussion Management (PDF)
- Sport-related concussion: Information for parents, coaches and trainers
If you want read more about concussion, visit our concussion information page!